Monday 7 January 2013

Guthrie EP Review



Guthrie EP - Darren Guthrie's Debut EP
From the moment this EP arrived in my mitts, I could tell from this cover it was going to be a chilled journey through 4 songs of Summer, Life and everything that comes with it. From the word go, the listener, being me was greeted with the opening track Drawing Apart. I was thrown into what seemed like a musical road trip of the ears minus the visual montage of happy people cruising down a highway with smiles and all in a open roof top car. the lyrics “And so she left me, but I couldn't give a fuck” made me instantly like this song. 

All 4 tracks seem to be driven by personal experiences, emotional times, this blended with what I would call almost perfect vocals suiting the atmosphere of the songs, especially with Memories, feeling as if it was a tribute to a lost friend, either way, I felt deeply involved as it's intense and needless to say I enjoyed this track, a lot! It being that touching to me, making me want to listen to it over and again which is what I exactly did for 20 minutes, 

I found myself not sure what to think of Breathe (It In), as someone who has quite the distaste towards break up songs, which is what this seemed to be. I really liked the catchy guitar that was over laying with the vocals which made it quite enjoyable, never thought Id say that, so kudos on that Guthrie, the last song on the EP. Trouble Bound gave me quite the Flight Of The Concords Feel (If you don't who they are, rethink your life). The track to felt like it was all about Being young, doing dumb shit and seizing your day, something to respect. The song is quite uplifting and basically a musical tribute to weekends, 

The only nit pick I had with this EP is that is needed some more tracks like Memories, Some more intimate songs like that would have made this amazing EP, all that more great. The Gunthrie EP is a prime example of how good the Perth local music scene is and if it keeps bringing out more amazing stuff like this Im going to be thoroughly impressed.

Review by Shaun Pulford

No comments:

Post a Comment